Qualifications for the Homeownership Program
Prospective Habitat homeowners must demonstrate a need for safe and affordable housing, be able to pay an affordable mortgage, and be willing to partner with Habitat.
Family Selection Criteria
Habitat for Humanity-Spokane is an equal opportunity housing agency that serves individuals that live or work in Spokane County. Homebuyers applying to Habitat-Spokane must meet the following criteria.
Primary Eligibility Requirements
An applicant’s household gross income must be less than 80% of Spokane County’s median income based on family size. The chart below shows the maximum income per household size.
|Family Size||Maximum Income Allowed|
- Applicant must live or work in Spokane County.
- Applicant must be a permanent legal resident of the United States at the time of application.
- Applicant must use the home as their primary residence.
- Paying more than 30% of their income toward housing costs
- Living in poor, overcrowded or substandard living conditions
- Receiving rental subsidy
- Living in transitional or temporary housing
- Living with another family in a single home
Ability to Pay an Affordable Mortgage
Habitat homeowners pay no more than 30% of their gross income towards housing costs. Habitat homeowners pay for the cost of building their home with an affordable mortgage.
The homeowner must qualify for a 3rd party loan. The average mortgage payment for a Habitat for Humanity house is $500 – $1,000.
Income sources may include:
- Income derived from employment (must be in same occupation for at least 1 year and with current employer for at least 6 months)
- Seasonal work
- Self-employment (must have been at same occupation at least 1 year and additional documentation required)
- Child support
- Social Security & SSI (Disability)
- TANF/GAU Grant (limits may apply)
Although perfect credit is not required, we will not be able to accept applications if:
- You have unpaid liens or judgements
- You have filed for bankruptcy in the past three years due to standard debts
- You have filed for bankruptcy in the past year due to medical debts
- You have collections totaling more than $750 per applicant
- Current Debt to income ratio must be less than 15% pre-mortgage payment
- Curious what your current credit looks like? You can pull your credit report once per year at no cost from any of these sources:
Willing to Partner with Habitat
Habitat homebuyers will be required to perform “sweat equity” as down payment on their home by helping build their own home and the homes of other Habitat homebuyers. Additionally, time spent meeting with Habitat staff, attending financial and homeownership workshops and classes, and any other required meetings count toward the total sweat equity hours. You can also earn hours by working in our Habitat Store and Habitat Affiliate Office.
If you are ready to get started, join us for one of our Homeowner Informational Meetings. Meetings cover the application process and requirements and allow time for questions. You can also request an application by contacting us at email@example.com
Meeting days and times
- First Thursday of every month – 5:30 PM-6:30 PM at 1805 E. Trent Ave.
- Additional informational meetings will be posted on our website at: https://habitat-spokane.org/events/
Contact our Homeowner Services Department:
Habitat-Spokane holds informational meetings about our Homeownership Program throughout Spokane County every month: