Qualifications for the Homeownership Program
Prospective Habitat homeowners must demonstrate a need for safe and affordable housing, be able to pay an affordable mortgage, and be willing to partner with Habitat.
Family Selection Criteria
Habitat for Humanity-Spokane is an equal opportunity housing agency that serves individuals that live or work in Spokane County. Homebuyers applying to Habitat-Spokane must meet the following criteria.
Primary Eligibility Requirements
An applicant’s household gross income must be less than 80% of Spokane County’s median income based on family size. The chart below shows the maximum income per household size.
|Family Size||Maximum Income Allowed|
- Applicants must live or work in Spokane County.
- Applicants must use the home as their primary residence.
- Now serving Individuals & families with ITIN numbers
- Paying more than 30% of their income toward housing costs
- Living in poor, overcrowded, or substandard living conditions
- Receiving rental subsidy
- Living in transitional or temporary housing
- Living with another family in a single home
Ability to Pay an Affordable Mortgage
Habitat homeowners pay no more than 30% of their gross income towards housing costs. Habitat homeowners pay for the cost of building their homes with an affordable mortgage.
The homeowner must qualify for a 3rd party loan. The average mortgage payment for a Habitat for Humanity house is $500 – $1,000.
Income sources may include:
- Income derived from employment (must be in the same occupation for at least 1 year and with current employer for at least 6 months)
- Seasonal work
- Self-employment (must have been at same occupation at least 1 year and additional documentation required)
- Child support
- Social Security & SSI (Disability)
Although perfect credit is not required, we will not be able to accept applications if:
- You have unpaid liens or judgments
- You have filed for bankruptcy in the past three years due to standard debts
- You have filed for bankruptcy in the past year due to medical debts
- You have collections totaling more than $750 per applicant
- Current Debt to income ratio must be less than 15% pre-mortgage payment
- Curious about what your current credit looks like? You can pull your credit report once per year at no cost from any of these sources:
Willing to Partner with Habitat
Habitat homebuyers will be required to perform “sweat equity” as down payment on their home by helping build their own home and the homes of other Habitat homebuyers. Additionally, time spent meeting with Habitat staff, attending financial and homeownership workshops and classes, and any other required meetings count toward the total sweat equity hours. You can also earn hours by working in our Habitat Store and Habitat Affiliate Office.
Due to the high demand for affordable housing options in Spokane, Habitat for Humanity has implemented a waiting list for all new applications. Please submit your contact information here and our Homeowner Services department will follow up with you as soon as there is availability to begin the application process. In the meantime, you can watch the informational video and review our homeowner qualifications to ensure that you’re prepared when your application opportunity arrives. Please be aware that the waiting list times are variable and may take up to a year before you are able to apply. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
If you are ready to get started, please watch our Homeowner Informational video that covers the application process and requirements.
Contact our Homeowner Services Department: